Justia 10.0 lawyer rating badge
Google 5 Stars
Attorney and practice magazine's criminal defense top 10 attorney 2023 badge
Expertise.com Best Criminal Defense Lawyers in Detroit 2022 badge
FindLaw reviews badge
nation top one percent 2022 badge
Expertise.com Best DUI Lawyers in Detroit 2022 badge

Washtenaw County, MI Probation Violation Lawyer

Judges frequently perceive probation violations as undermining their choice to grant leniency through probation instead of a harsher punishment. When confronted with accusations of probation violation, having a skilled and committed attorney by your side is essential. An experienced lawyer can assist you in navigating the legal system, contesting any inaccurate allegations, and striving to secure the most favorable outcome for your case.

Initial Violation in Washtenaw County, Michigan

Allegations of probation violation typically surface when your probation officer detects a potential breach of the terms. These breaches may involve failing a drug test, missing appointments, exceeding authorized travel limits, neglecting to pay fines or restitution, or incomplete community service. As a result, the probation officer informs the court, which might issue an arrest warrant or summon you to appear before the judge. In either scenario, you’ll stand before the judge, who will establish bond conditions and determine your release status pending further proceedings.

Violation Hearing in Washtenaw County, MI

After this phase, your case proceeds to a violation hearing. Much like a standard trial, both the prosecution and defense will be involved, enabling each side to present evidence and cross-examine witnesses. However, unlike in a typical trial, the judge, not a jury, will determine your fate. Moreover, the burden of proof in your case will be evaluated based on a “preponderance of evidence” rather than “beyond a reasonable doubt.” If the judge determines that there is a significant likelihood, more probable than not, that you committed the violation, you may be found guilty.

Sentencing in Washtenaw County

After a guilty verdict or the acceptance of a plea deal, the judge has several sentencing options available. These options may include continuing probation, modifying the terms of probation, extending the probationary period, or revoking probation entirely. In felony cases, the judge also retains the authority to impose a prison sentence.

Contact us for Washtenaw County, MI Probation Violation Charges

Probation violations are taken seriously, and you need a good lawyer in your corner to assure that you do as little jail/prison time as possible. Our experienced attorney at The Law Office of Julian J. Poota, PLLC can help you. We offer clients a free initial consultation. To discuss your current legal situation, call us at (888) 399-7979 or contact us online.

Probation Violation Lawyer for the 22nd Circuit Court

The 22nd Circuit Court is located at 101 E Huron St, Ann Arbor, MI 48104

The 22nd Circuit Court judges are:

Honorable Patrick J. Conlin

Honorable Timothy P. connors

Honorable Carol Kuhnke

Honorable Darlene A. O’Brien

Honorable Julia B. Owdziej

Honorable Arianne E. Slay

Honorable Tracy E. Van den Bergh


Julian did an amazing job handling my case. He ensured to have the possible outcome for me. He was also always available to answer all of my questions/concerns, and was able to answer everything effectively.

L. Landeros

Very professional. Met with me the same day I contacted the office. Went to court the following day and my case was dismissed. Don’t hesitate to contact him for help. Highly recommended thank u so much for your...

J. Bandia

It was a pleasure to have Mr. Poota as our representative. From the time we meet till the end of our case, he was there every step of the way guiding us and making sure our rights were protected and presented...

N. DeCesare

Get in Touch

  1. 1 Over 18 Years Experience
  2. 2 Record of Positive Results
  3. 3 Free Consultation 24/7
Fill out the contact form or call us at (888) 399-7979 to schedule your free consultation.

Leave Us a Message